Professor Sylvester S. OGBOGU, FESN
Professor Sylvester S. Ogbogu, FESN
Department of Zoology
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife 220005
Osun State, NIGERIA.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Phone: +234(0)803 390 2494, 807 878 4173
M.Sc. Zoology (Entomology), University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1987
Ph. B.Sc. Zoology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1983
D. Entomology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1991
Freshwater Ecosystem Macroinvertebrates, Biological Monitoring and Assessment, Biodiversity Conservation
I am particularly curious about the aquatic insect fauna in freshwater ecosystems, with the primary goal of determining their richness, diversity and community structure. The overall goal is to describe the insect fauna of Nigeria’s freshwater ecosystems that are hitherto unknown in the country, and provide insight into their relationships with species known to occur elsewhere in Afrotropical Region. In recent times, I have been involved in the study of how insects respond to aquatic ecosystem impairment. Such insects include members of the Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera and Trichoptera (Mayfly, Stonefly and Caddisfly) taxa. These insect groups lay eggs in water and their juvenile stages develop there as well. As an Aquatic Entomologist, my interest in these insects is sustained by poor knowledge of Nigerian fauna.
(i) Ogbogu, S.S. (2001). Factors affecting the distribution and abundance of Cloeon and Caenis (Ephemeroptera) larvae in a tropical impounded river, Nigeria. African Journal of Ecology 39: 106-112.
(ii) Ogbogu, S.S. (2001). Observations on the seasonal dynamic of caddisfly larvae (Trichoptera) in an intermittent reservoir outflow at Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Journal of Aquatic Sciences 16 (2): 139-143.
(iii) Ogbogu, S.S. (2001). Assessment of water quality and macroinverbrate abundance in Opa stream-reservoir system, Ile-Ife. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences 7(3): 517-521.
(iv) Ogbogu, S.S. and S.A. Olajide (2002). Effect of Sewage oxidation pond effluent on macroinvertebrate communities of a tropical forest stream, Nigeria. Journal of Aquatic Sciences 17(1): 27-30.
(v) Ogbogu, S.S. and W.B. Adu (2006). First record of Macrostemum alienum
Ulmer 1907 (Trichoptera: Hydropsychidae): Macronematinae) from Ile-Ife, Southwestern Nigeria, West Africa. Biota Neotropica, 6(3): 1-7. [Available online at: http://www.biotaneotropica.org.br/v6n3/pt/abstracts?short-communication+bn00606032006]. ISSN 1676-0611.
(vi) Ogbogu, S.S. and R.O. Oyewole. (2007). Description of the larva of a new species of the genus Afronurus Lestage from Ile-Ife, southwestern Nigeria (Insecta: Ephemeroptera: Heptageniidae). Tropical Freshwater Biology, 16(1): 49 – 55.
(vii) Ogbogu, S.S. (2007). Caddisfly (Trichoptera) larvae of the Opa River basin, south-western Nigeria. African Journal of Aquatic Science, 32(3): 259–263.
(viii) Ogbogu, S.S. (2008). Description of mature larva of the Genus Oecetis
McLachlan (Trichoptera: Leptoceridae) from south-western Nigeria, West Africa. Journal of Afrotropical Zoology 4: 71-76.
(ix) Adu, B. W. & Ogbogu S. S. (2010): Diversity and Distribution of Dragonflies (Insecta: Odonata:) in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Southwestern Nigeria. Agrion 15(1):24-31.
(x) Adu B.W. and Ogbogu S.S. (2013) Diversity and Community Structure of Dragonflies and Damselflies (Insecta: Odonata) in Aponmu Forest, Southwestern, Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture and Forestry. 3(6): 231-239.
(xi) Amusan B.O. and S.S. Ogbogu (2013). Observations on the abundance and distribution of adult caddisflies (Insecta: Trichoptera) in streams and rivers of Ile-Ife, southwestern Nigeria. International Journal of Tropical Insect Science. 33(3):163–169, 2013.
(xii) Ogbogu, S.S. (2003). Effects of different concentrations of inorganic compounds on the survival of Cloeon perkinsi larvae (Ephemeroptera), pp.377-379. In: Gaino, E. (ed.), Research Update on Ephemeroptera &Plecoptera. Proceedings of the 2001 International Joint Meeting. X International Conference on Ephemeroptera & XIV International Symposium on Plecoptera, Perugia, Italy. University of Perugia (Pub.) 2001.
(xiii) Sylvester Ogbogu & Williams Adu (2011). Life history and larval density of Cheumatopsyche digitata Mosely (Trichoptera: Hydropsychidae) in Opa Reservoir spillway, Ile-Ife, southwestern Nigeria. Zoosymposia 5:401-407.
Workshops and Conferences attended
1. The World Conservation Union (IUCN) Species Survival Commission (SSC) Training Workshop for Freshwater Biodiversity Assessment of Western Africa, Dakar- Senegal, July 25-28, 2005. Workshop organized by Wetlands International-Africa Programme, in collaboration with the IUCN Species Programme.
2. The IUCN Species Programme/Wetlands International, Africa Programme workshop for the evaluation of the freshwater biodiversity assessment project: Western Africa component. Institute for Scientific and Technological Research (INSTI, CSIR), Accra- Ghana. July 3 – 7, 2006.
3. 37th Annual Conference of Entomological Society of Nigeria, 2006. University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria. October 2006. Paper presented: Ogbogu, S.S. Description of the larva of an unknown species of Oecetis McLachlan, 1877 from Nigeria, West Africa (Trichoptera: Leptoceridae).
4. XXIII International Congress of Entomology, 6 – 8 July, 2008. International Convention Centre, Durban, South Africa. Paper presented: Ogbogu, S. S. and Efere Obuotor, Comparative toxicity of two herbicides, Paraquat and Glyphosate to the larvae of two caddisflies, Aethaloptera dispar and Cheumatopsyche digitata.
5. 39th Annual Conference of Entomological Society of Nigeria, October 5 – 8, 2008. National Root Crops Research Institute, Umudike, Umuahia. Paper presented: Adu, B.W. and Ogbogu, S.S., Assessment of endemic Odonate fauna of River Kienke, Linde and Bitandé in the Southern Cameroon forest.
6. 13th International Symposium on Trichoptera, June 22-27, 2009. Bialowieza National Park, Bialowieza, Poland. Paper presented: Ogbogu, S.S. and Adu W., Life history and larval density of Cheumatopsyche digitataMosely (Trichoptera: Hydropsychidae) in Opa Reservoir spillway, Ile-Ife, southwestern Nigeria.
7. 2011 North American Benthological Society Annual Meeting. Rhode Island Convention Centre, Providence, Rhode Island, USA, May 22-26, 2011. Paper presented: Ogbogu, S.S. and Williams, B., Investigation into the emergence pattern of Cheumatopsyche digitata below a reservoir spillway in southwestern Nigeria.